Saturday, August 18, 2007 at 1:17 AM |  
Wednesday's meeting was different. I had to tell eventually. It is something that people will eventually find out and I cannot go on concealing it.

Telling also means that people will probe for the reason. Forcing me to learn the things I should know by now.

Telling also means that people, being people, will start to form a different idea of me. It would be great to please everyone but it is humanly impossible. The better stand is to adopt the concept of mardhatillah(blessings of Allah). Whereby everything you do is for Allah. Life will become very focused.

This event becomes another memory in my head. It will be something that I compare against with my future experiences in life. My topic for today is change. We shall now go into why people adopt a particular set of behaviour in the first place. The memory, like the event that I had, is kept in the neurons in the brain. This particular memory then links to the previous experiences like a huge mind map. Feelings also get tied to memory. Basically, a certain set of memory will trigger the brain to instruct the body to release certain chemicals to the body that will create that sensation of happiness, sadness, love or any other emotion.

Why do people develop habits? Well, people are addicted to positive feelings and will want to avoid the negative ones as much as they can. When a particular kind of action is done again and again the pathways or bridges between the neurons get very strong. It is this connection that develop habits and is the same reason why people will feel a resistance against change. It is the mere act of trying to break these bridges that make change difficult.

Now imagine trying to break that bridges that has been fortified through 20 over years. Daunting... but not impossible. Just create a new set of experiences. It is only scary at that particular moment. You can give yourself a break after that.

The trick is to do it anyway even though it is hard. Eleanor Roosevelt said, "Do something that scares you everyday."

I suppose that is how one can change himself and develop his character. I want to make this part of personal development. I will do something that scare me, maybe just once a week for now. Insyaallah.
Posted by Firdaus Labels:

0 comments: